Our Adoption Process
MDPR is committed to educating adoption applicants on the needs and proper care of birds. As part of the adoption process, you will receive a free copy of our Standards of Care Guide Book and post-adoption support from our volunteer team.
MDPR adoption process is designed to ensure that:
- The process is time efficient for the adoption applicant
- The applicant is matched with birds that will fit their lifestyle
- The applicant feels educated and prepared to give the bird a loving home and proper care
- Each bird that enters MDPR goes through a quarantine process for 45 days, which includes a medical exam by our veterinarian and lab testing for psittacosis and other diseases as applicable per veterinarian’s direction. Copies of all exam and lab documentation are provided to adopters.
General Adoption Requirements:
- You must be over 18 to adopt a bird
- You must certify that you have never been convicted of any animal cruelty charges
- You must not engage or allow the adopted bird to participate in breeding
- If you can no longer provide a home for the bird, you must turn it back in to MDPR for re-adopting
- MDPR reviews each applicant for suitability on a case by case basis and reserves the right to refuse adoption of any bird to any individual or group if adoption is deemed inappropriate or not a good fit for the bird.
Small birds and parrots such as finches, budgies, cockatiels etc. are eligible for same day adoption at our headquarters at The Perch and at some adoption events at The Hopeful Hound Adoption Center in Aurora.
Small Bird Adoption Process (estimated duration 1-2 hours):
- Go to The Perch during business hours. In general, same day adoptions of small birds will occur on a first come first served basis. However, MDPR reserves the right to refuse adoption of any bird to any individual or group if adoption is deemed inappropriate or not a good fit for the bird.
- You will complete a paper application upon arrival.
- You meet and spend some time with the birds you are interested in and select your bird.
- If you do not already have an MDPR pre-approved cage setup, you can purchase a cage setup from The Perch – PLEASE NOTE – Cages must be approved for size & suitability by MDPR before an adoption closes. Please bring one or more photos of current cage(s), as well as cage measurements. Having a ruler or common object, like a dollar bill, in your photos is helpful!
- An MDPR volunteer will conduct a bird care mini-course with you, ensuring that you have the knowledge you need to bring home your bird and have all of your questions answered. You will also receive a copy of our bird care book.
- After 7-10 days, an MDPR representative will follow up with you to answer any new questions you may have.
- You may to contact MDPR at anytime for post-adoption support.
Adoption fees for each small bird type:
- Finch $8 (or otherwise noted)
- Dove or pigeon $20
- Budgie $10 for one or $15 for two
- Cockatiel $80
- Lovebird $80
- Grass parakeet $40
- Parrotlet $125
Parrots such as conures, Poicephalus parrots, Amazon parrots, African Greys, Cockatoos and Macaws have more intensive needs than the smaller birds and require a pre-qualification process before applying for a specific bird.
Parrot Adoption Process (estimated duration of 2 – 5 weeks):
- Apply to pre-qualify to adopt online and pay the $25 fee.
- You will receive a link to our online Standards of Parrot Care course.
- You spend 3-6 hours completing the online course and the questions at the end.
- MDPR’s adoption committee reviews your results.
- MDPR contacts you to schedule and complete a home inspection and consultation about adding a bird to your home.
- If all conditions are met, MDPR will pre-qualify you to adopt a parrot.
- You will meet the birds that you are interested in at The Perch or at our next adoption event(s) – please see our Events Calendar for the next event.
- When you meet a bird that you want to adopt – you will complete an Intent to Adopt form in person that MDPR will review for approval and decide on within 2 business days.
- Once approved you now have 14 days to obtain an appropriate sized cage to close the adoption.
- After 7 days, an MDPR representative will follow up with you to answer any new questions you may have.
- You may contact MDPR at anytime for post-adoption support.
Adoption fees for each parrot type:
- Conures / Brotogeris $200
- Psittacula $200
- Poicephalus $250
- Mini-Macaws, Pionus, Amazons, Caiques $350
- Cockatoos $400
- Eclectus Parrots $400
- African Greys $500
- Large Macaws $500
- Rarer species of parrots $800